Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas

We had plans to do a nativity reenactment this weekend with the whole Nordstrom and Davis families together. Unfortunately our little baby Jesus has not had time to arrive... not to mention the road to "Bethlehem" was a little too icy. So, we had to cancel the performance. Isn't it a bummer when things don't go according to our plans? There were two other women my midwife is attending to who were due ahead of me, the 14th and 15th. Both went a little late, in fact, the one due the 15th is in labor right now. I must be next!
Christmas ended up being just right though. We had my family over, Grandma spent the night and Grandpa came up early for breakfast and presents. The present opening was nice and slow and the kids seemed to appreciate what they got which was a blessing to me. Josiah had been particularly thoughtful with a gift he bought for Mia. It was truly in the spirit of Christmas that he used his own money when he found the perfect present and then hid it so it would be a surprise. When I told Mia how much love went into that gift she was sure to express extra gratefulness. It was a full circle of love and it brought tears to my eyes. I was so thankful that I got to witness that interaction and to experience the sweetness in their hearts. His actions kick started all the kids buying presents for each other. We've been going a little stir crazy with the weather keeping us inside more and all activities cancelled, plus my edginess as I wait for Eliza, so it was nice to enjoy their wonderful side!

Later Poppy (Great Grandpa) and my brother and his family came over for lunch: Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls. Yum! The "boys" drove the 4-wheeler I surprised Andrew with. Andrew had been talking about buying it from a friend of ours for months, first for the camp and then for fun. I just didn't see the practicality of it. But, when I kept seeing him riding the kids' little 4-wheelers around I decided he really needed one of his own if not just for the priceless look on his face. When it arrived I was astounded by how huge it is!!! Now, my yard is paying the price for not planning out where our "track" would be. Needless to say we'll need to reseed in the shape of a figure 8 this spring.
Meanwhile, the girls watched "John & Kate plus 8" about the couple who has twins and septuplets (6 at once). Made me appreciate my little family. The kids had lots of Grandma and Grandpa time, too, reading books, playing with the remote control flyer, shooting hoops, and playing with newly aquired toys. That night we all watched "Glory Road" based on the true story about the basketball coach that was the first to start an all black line up. I can't believe the crap some people had to put up with based on other people's ignorance. It was a good movie, and I love it when people who take risks persevere and find success.
Except for not having Eliza yet, it was a wonderful, relaxing day and I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Lord, lift me above my own narrow horizons, that I might fulfill your true vision for me. - B.J. Hoff