Monday, June 22, 2009

Things Hoped For

Hebrews 11:1, 39 & 40 Now faith is being sure of things hoped for and
certain of things unseen. This is what the ancients were commended
for. These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received
what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only
together with us would they be made perfect.


In honor of Faith Petra Joy I re-read this chapter in Hebrews today. It was such a blessing to me at the time I was carrying her. It still is a blessing, but more than that, it's an inspiration. Oh, to be included in what some call the "hall of faith". Men and women who believed God enough that they let go of what the world values and obeyed him regardless. They required no road map, not even a destination. There was no earthly plan, but they didn't need an earthly plan for they understood the heavenly plan and fully trusted the Planner.

I heard a woman pray just weeks ago, "Thank you Father for entrusting us with this suffering." That pierced to the core of my heart. What a privilege to be chosen to suffer for Christ. I used to think that suffering for Christ meant direct martyrdom. In this moment I'm coming to understand that all suffering can be for Christ. Everyone has the opportunity to see Christ in you when you suffer or face hardships, if you allow Him to be seen. In suffering you are powerless, weak.
1 Corinthians 12:9-10 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more
gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is
why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in
persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Ten years ago I hoped for a healed and healthy baby to raise here on earth. Shortly after I delivered her stillborn I realized that she had been made perfect and that I will meet her in heaven one day when I am made perfect as well. With a clear, eternal perspective I am at peace with the understanding that I'm just living here on earth for a short while but we'll be together, forever one day. That is the time that counts, and that is covered for me. The price was paid for my sin when Jesus Christ died on the cross.

Lord Jesus, God my Father, continue to loosen my grip on the things that this world values. I desire to be a woman that keeps her gaze fixed on you. Thank you for holding Faith for me all these years until I can see her again. Thank you for the suffering you allowed me to bear and the dependence on you that it caused me to experience. You did not fail me. Each tiny step of faith landed on solid, trustworthy ground. I know I can trust you completely. I appreciate the glimpse of how great a sacrifice your beloved son's death on the cross was. Thank you for your perfect plan and that because of Jesus I can approach the throne of grace with confidence. In Jesus name I pray! AMEN!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Beautiful post and that is quite a comment that woman made... thought provoking... in the midst of both physical and emotional suffering I have not felt blessed. I did not question God but did not find it a blessing at the time. Now it feels like the suffering changed who I am as a person or maybe just helped me to become more like the woman He wanted me to be in the first place. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa said...

My dear friend. You have been such a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing your insights - you always give me things to think about. I'll be praying for you especially this week. Love you!

Lord, lift me above my own narrow horizons, that I might fulfill your true vision for me. - B.J. Hoff