Thursday, October 2, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

In the midst of all that is going on, Andrew took the time to take me out for a birthday respite retreat at the Christian Renewal Center in Silverton. I went knowing I would be blessed and was not disappointed. We met the founders, Allan and Eunice Hansen, who are now in their 90s, they described their roles as simply volunteers. They blessed us with a gift of their life story in a book that Eunice had written 12 years ago. It's titled "When God Gives a Dream". This book, as well as some encouraging prayer time and just the quiet of nature up there, was the best gift I could have gotten. Andrew and I both left feeling refocused yet emotionally drained. I think we were able to let go of a lot of things that we were both tense and stressed about. It's hard to explain but it was good emotional draining. It was also a time to "talk camp" again, which has not been something we've done for a while now. Unfortunately my camera battery was dead and since I was recharging it and it wasn't in my purse, I ended up leaving the whole thing at home. So I have no pictures for you, but trust me, it was wonderful.
God you are so good! In the midst of trials or suffering how much more we long for heaven. Bless our country as we transition from such a great time of blessing and abundance to a time of uncertainty and struggle, may we return to you Lord and once again be one nation under God. Soften our hearts. Forgive our materialism and self indulgence and the way we trivialize some of your best gifts. Strengthen believers to be a light in this dark time, that we might offer the hope that is found only in you.

No comments:

Lord, lift me above my own narrow horizons, that I might fulfill your true vision for me. - B.J. Hoff