Friday, March 14, 2008

Trust

I recently had a conversation with a friend about walking in high heels. We've all seen women who don't quite have it down. They walk half bent over, in a sort of tip toe form, trying to compensate for the inclination on which their feet are expected to balance while still maneuvering the body to the intended location. On the other hand, I've seen my friend confidently walking in heels even while she was 9 months pregnant! If anyone knows how to do it, she does. So what's her tip? "You gotta trust the heel. Stand up straight and walk like you normally do; heel, toe, heel, toe."
Isn't that a great metaphor for our faith in God? Sometimes trusting God is easy, like walking in a comfy pair of tennis shoes. Heel, toe, heel, toe, no problem, I was born for this. I am confident the shoe is going to hold me and I doubt if I'll fall. Life is good.
But sometimes trusting God requires a great deal more faith, sort of like wearing those high heels. At first stepping out in faith is not very comfortable. "Lord, I am up here on these heels and it is wobbly and I could fall... I could get hurt... I could be really embarrassed." Naturally we want to compensate for our fears so we shuffle along on our toes, bending our knees a bit. Or, maybe we just stand there and not risk walking at all. But, the beauty of the heel is the way it elongates the leg. With the safe and awkward shuffle, there is no elongating or beauty going on. In just standing there, well, you don't get very far. The heels are still on but their purpose has been lost and most likely a sore back or knees will be the result.
So, when God asks you to take a risk, or you feel that life has gotten a bit wobbly; when you realize those risks could result in some pain or embarrassment, trust in God. Stand up straight, walk confidently, heel, toe, heel, toe, like you did when things were more comfortable. One day , walking in faith will feel more natural because you've learned to trust the heels.
Wait upon the Lord. He's the same God that protected you from a fall in the past, he has comforted you when you were flat on your face, and he has your best in mind. Psalm 27 sounds a lot like a guy who knows the meaning of "trust the heels", spiritually speaking. David wrote this Psalm. The same little David who tended the sheep, faced and conquered the giant Goliath, was chased down by a jealous king Saul, eventually became king and who failed many times. The David that God called a man after his own heart. He always kept God on the throne, whether his heart was bursting with joy or breaking with grief. You talk about an elongated leg!

Psalm 27

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear?

The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

No comments:

Lord, lift me above my own narrow horizons, that I might fulfill your true vision for me. - B.J. Hoff