Friday, April 4, 2008

I'm a looker!

Some people are leapers and some are lookers. A leaper is someone who is ready to leap, they like adventure and risk. They are best known for what they have done or what they are doing. A looker is someone who considers the risk and weighs out potential consequences. They are best known for their wisdom. I fall into the latter category, not because I'm particularly wise, but because I do not like risk. Thankfully God brings leapers into my life to help shift my focus off the looking part of life and into the part where you actually do some things. One leaper in my life is my husband Andrew. Isn't it true that opposites attract and, though it causes great conflict sometimes, being married to my opposite always presents the wonderful opportunity for growth. I remember when we were dating and we faced a defining leaper vs. looker moment. We were at wooded park in Salem that had a little stream flowing through it. In the middle of the stream was a medium sized rock. Andrew promptly leaped out onto the rock and beckoned me to follow him. HA! After looking the situation over I could plainly see it was too far, the rock was too small, it was impossible (even though he had clearly made it). Long story short, he persuaded me to make the leap by promising to hold my hand and help me through it. For 15 years now, this been the example used when Andrew wants me to leap into something and I'm too focused on looking things over.

I have also been blessed with several leaping friends who live their lives doing the things that God calls them to rather than looking and looking at different opportunities. They have stories to share of how God is moving in and around them. They've been places and done things, and are experiencing God. We have a pastor, Steve Fowler, that is definitely a leaper and the way God uses him and his family is enviable.

Over the past year I have been focusing on doing more leaping and leaving the things I would normally focus on up to God. I have to report that there have been no serious injuries and I have seen some amazing sites and actually experienced the greatest joy and peace of my whole life. I leaped onto the short term mission team to Mongolia, of all places, and met some awesome people who, again, are leapers. In God's hands I left the finances to get there, childcare for my three young kids, and safety on the nearly 3 week trip. He was outrageously faithful in all those areas!

This is Krista Fields, a missionary from Salem, a mother of 3, serving the Lord in Mongolia. Here she is with her adopted Mongolian daughter Eden!

Here a crowd of Mongolians wait to be seen by the American eye doctor and his assistants.
It was fun to meet people like this Mongolian couple.

I also leaped to a local outreach for homeless women and actually got to wash and massage their feet. I wonder if I had the privilege of being the first person to treat them in this way. Do they know that Jesus washed the feet of his disciples and told us to serve each other in the same way? Do they know that Jesus died for them? I went into this experience with the idea that I would bless these women; I ended up thoroughly blessed myself.

Pursuing the purchase of Bear Paw Camp has been an obvious leap. There is so much unknown and some risk involved, but even the process has again provided the experience of fully trusting God which has created so much joy and peace. I am in great anticipation of the results of this leap, not because I'm such a great leaper, but because I realize I'm holding the Father's hand and he'll guide to the best place to land at just the right time. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's fun to see pictures of your trip and to hear about it.

And what a great reminder to become a leaper...we can get so comfortable can't we?

Lord, lift me above my own narrow horizons, that I might fulfill your true vision for me. - B.J. Hoff