Friday, April 11, 2008

So... what's the plan?

It's been crazy around here, not just with the packing and remodeling stuff going, that's just the physical part we're dealing with. It's also been mentally crazy. I want to know "the plan" and not have to live day to day as we have for... uh, I can't remember the last time I could say with confidence, "today we will do this or that". Hmm sounds like a verse!

James 4:13-14 Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life" You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

Matthew 6:31 So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own.

Well I've had the opportunity to live that way through our circumstances and, yes, I know all too well that each day can carry enough trouble of it's own. I'm sure I'm not a natural at living without knowing "the plan" but I have enjoyed the blessing of God's provision and, more than ever, I am clinging to His promises rather than my own "what if" scenarios.

On another note, I don't know if it's this new "lifestyle" or just getting older or what but something is doing a number on my memory. The other day I overheard the kids talking about how old everyone in our family is. It caught my attention when I heard them say, "Mom is 32." No I'm not! I had to step in and correct them:

"Josiah, I'm only 31."

"No, mom, you're 32 and Daddy is 33."

"No, I'm not. I was born in 1975 and I'm... oh, wait... you're right."

Who loses an argument with their 1st grader about how old they actually are! So, I blame it on the constant flux I've been in the last several years and have decided to start looking for some good reference points in my life to help keep me on track. Now that I know how old I really am, I will remember that I turned 32 in Mongolia.
Now to plan 33. Hmmm! Any great ideas for a way to really seal that birthday into my memory? I've got some time to figure it out. See how much I love a good plan!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so know what you mean about smart 1st graders. They don't forget!!! When I work in the boys class room I think, good night! I have forgotten so much!!!!

They call it the Mommy brain. Your smarter then you ever have been, maybe that's why age is not important...to many other important things happing.

Maybe a dip in the Lake next year at midnight??? ;)

Lord, lift me above my own narrow horizons, that I might fulfill your true vision for me. - B.J. Hoff